The Sundance Film Festival has been a staple of Park City’s tourism since the Sundance Institute was started by Robert Redford in 1981 and is one of the most popular Park City events. The Sundance Institute was started in Sundance Utah with the goal of providing creative and financial support for the development of independent, original stories for film. Each year the festival chooses 200 films to be exhibited from over 9000 submissions, and in addition to many screenings the festival also features: live music, documentary films, many great events and parties and panel discussions. This is one of the biggest Park City Events that is celebrated each year and our Park City Peaks Hotel Blog has the inside scoop on what you need to know to navigate Park City during the festival.
What are the competitive Categories in the Sundance Film Festival?
- U.S. Documentary Competition.
- U.S. Dramatic Competition
- World Cinema Documentary Competition
- World Cinema Dramatic Competition
- Shorts Program
- Animation Spotlight
Where are the Sundance Theatres and Venues?
- Sundance Film Festival Headquarters at The Park City Marriot houses the official festival store and is where most of the festival business for filmmakers takes place. This is a great place to spot your favourite filmmakers!
- The Sundance Festival House at Kimball Centre hosts daily festival events and activities and is open to everyone. At the house they have food and drink, as well as the latest festival event and film information.
- Theatre locations for the Sundance Festival include:
- Eccles Theatre
- Egyptian Theatre
- Holiday Village Cinemas
- Library Centre Theatre
- Prospector Square Theatre
- The MARC
- Redstone at Kimball Junction
- Temple Theatre
- The Sundance ASCAP Music Cafe at the Rich Haines Gallery is the location where the majority of the live music events are being held during the festival and is a must for music fans visiting Park City for the festival including performances by: A Fine Frenzy, Josh Kelley, The All-American Rejects and David Gray.
Where Should You Stay during Park City Events?
Sundance Film Festival Lodging
Our Park City Hotel, is conveniently located just a 2 minute free-shuttle ride to main street, the epicenter of many of the Sundance Film Festival venues and events. With a shuttle-stop located right in front of our doors, we’re the perfect Sundance Film Festival accommodations for your entire party. We still have rooms available but we are filling up quickly so book soon! We also still have event space available for booking. Contact our Park City Hotel staff to learn more.
Sundance Film Festival Transportation
Due to the enormous influx of visitors our Park City Hotel gets during the film festival and other Park City events, we don’t recommend driving around town during your stay, especially since many of the main event venues and theaters don’t have parking available. It’s a good idea to stay at a hotel that is on the free town shuttle route (like our Park City Peaks Hotel).
If you need a car we suggest parking at either the China Bridge Parking Structure (for a fee). It is located just two blocks east of Main Street, but fills up quickly during festival days.